Someone stop the iWhiners, please...
Could all the iWhiners out there PLEASE accept the following points...
(You can maybe tell that I've been reading a lot of threads on Mac-centered online fora lately that got a bit on my nerves...)
- The transition to intel processors starts in June 2006 for consumers, so there's no need to look at current processors and talk about what Apple will use. They'll use what's new then, and they're certainly better informed by intel than the public.
- If the PowerMacs are the last machines that turn intel in mid-2007, this means that we'll see at least one more iteration of the PowerMac G5. And if they're using dual core 970MP processors, those will be quite nice machines, won't they.
- Your current Macs are not obsolete by this move. Apple will continue to drop support for older machines in their OS versions as they always did. Sure, a bondi blue iMac is not likely to run Leopard, but that's a bloody old machine, anyway. However: Your current PowerBooks, iBooks, PowerMacs, iMacs and eMacs will not only run Leopard just fine (and probably with better performance than with Tiger), they'll probably even be supported by 10.6 in 2008!
- Those intel Macs which will start to appear in June 2006 will be Macs. They'll look like Macs, feel like Macs, behave like Macs (although they'll probably leave the PPC hardware they replace in the dust performance-wise).
- If you're still whining and think it's important that the world knows that you're gonna leave the platform now for good: Tell me what you'll use instead. Between an intel Mac running Mac OS X and all of my software just fine and an intel PC running Windows or Linux, I quite certainly choose the Mac. I'm a Mac person, and I sure don't care whether the chip inside my future PowerBook is called a PowerPC or an X68-64-dualcore. What I care about for my future PowerBook is that it works, that it runs cool enough and that it gives me decent battery life. If you think the Mac's not a Mac with an intel chip inside, you're just not a Mac person. You're an iWhiner. And those do suck.